Saturday, January 9, 2010

What was whistling in the trees?



WHAT WAS WHISTLING IN THE TREES?


Last night about 9.30 pm I was sitting outside and heard this most distinctive high pitched, almost shrill sound coming from the Eucalyptus trees.

After a brief discussion, we decided the sounds belonged to Whistling Ducks. These ducks prefer to feed by eating aquatic vegetation, grass and pasture seeds and other herbage, rather than diving for their food source in water bodies.

The sound of the Whistling Ducks is not common to my area, so one surmises that they may be moving west to inland floodplains and waterholes following recent rains. These ducks breed from January to March. May these ducks successfully and safely lay and incubate their eggs, so yet another generation of Whistling Ducks can visit my garden. This image depicts Kyabra waterhole which feeds into Cooper's Creek. I wonder if my visitors might be headed to a waterhole like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment