Saturday, September 12, 2009

What is a Western Rivers Carer?




What is a Western Rivers Carer?



I have a job title and a position description that is a little unique. My official title is WESTERN RIVERS CARER, and I am employed by the Australian Floodplain Association.

So where does one go and what does one do when one is wearing this badge? A Western Rivers Carer has a delightful time travelling in the rural and remote parts of Western Queensland, and working with communities, organizations and individuals who reside in the catchments of the Georgina and Diamantina Rivers and Cooper’s Creek. My key task is to ensure that the voices of local people who are dependent on the rivers for floodplain tourism, pastures, recreation and livelihoods have a voice in how these magnificent waterways are managed, and more importantly, protected from large scale water exploitation or other manmade threats.

As I travel, I will be posting regular blogs to outline my adventures. I commenced working 2.5 days/week in this position in May 2009, and already have collected an abundance of images, thoughts and information to share with you. I invite you to become a regular visitor to my blog if you have an interest in Outback Queensland and our unique natural environment and waterways which form part of the Lake Eyre Basin. There is so much to share about these wild western rivers which are some of the last unregulated water flows in the entire world that still flow free.

“The wild western rivers through the Channel Country flow
From drought to flood in sunshine the Lake Eyre Basin grows
When it rains up in the northland the western stockman knows
The wild western rivers flowing free”

Excerpt taken from a song titled “The Wild Western Rivers” by Dana Lyons, Mark Kleinschmidt and Bruce Honeywill.

No comments:

Post a Comment